Reply to this topicStart new topic

The Big News

, No more license keys, unlimited installs and price changes

Jesh - The Skins...
Administrator
Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1

Post #1 post Nov 1 2008, 03:04 AM
Effective immediately: All single themes will be priced at $14.95. We've also changed some of our policies in a very significant way:

1. No more license keys: As the CEO of a company with a software product, I understand the train of thought that a lot of software publishers have about protecting their investment and their products. On the other hand, I personally feel as a consumer that license keys normally just end up hurting legitimate users. We use a wonderful solution called Plimloc and will still use their solution when we go to retail or when third-party resellers sell our product (please note: resellers are different than affiliates) so we can control inventory. But for the desktop themes sold on our site (and through our affiliates) we're going to go "license key free". Has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

The people who are going to steal our software will find a way to steal it, license key or not. It is a never-ending battle. So why should legitimate users have to deal with things like:

1. A license key is accidentally not sent or fails for some reason.

2. Cases where people are not being able to install it on a particular PC that isn't connected to the internet, even though they paid for the theme.

3. Keeping track of the license keys, which is ultimately harder for a digitally downloaded product.

The answer is... they shouldn't have to. That's not the only significant change we're making, and I'm fairly confident you're going to like this next policy change...

2. New Licensing Terms: You can now put any theme you purchase on as many PCs that you personally own. That's right, say hello to freedom. However, this does not mean you are allowed to give it to your brother, sister, mom, dad, best friend, etc. This means if you have a work computer and a home computer, you will be able to put a Hyperdesk theme you purchased on both machines. If you have 7 desktops/notebooks like I do, you can put a theme you purchased on every single one of them. If you bought the product before this was implemented, just email me at support (at) theskinsfactory dot com and we'll hook you up with a version that doesn't need a key.

Because we're going "license key free", this also means we're going to be much stricter with refunds, since there is no key to deactivate.

For those of you who have bought or will buy our products from resellers that do use a license key, never fear, those license keys will be set up that they allow you to install your Hyperdesk themes also on multiple PCs. They will however have a preset limit. That hasn't been decided yet, but probably around 5 PCs, since most people only have 2 or 3 PCs at most.

One Final Note: Please do not distribute our work. I can't say this enough. Just because you have a version that does not need a key, does not mean you own our work. You "license" our work with or without a key. You paid for the right to download and use our theme(s) and so should your friends if they want to use our work. An average theme costs less than the price of 2 movie tickets. A movie normally lasts 90 minutes. You'll be enjoying our themes for much, much longer than that. A theme can takes us sometimes 2 months to complete and they are expensive to build. By illegally distributing our work to other people (and that means anyone that's not you) you're not getting over on some massive software company (not that it's right to do that to any company), all you're doing is hurting a couple of guys who spend all their days and nights working on Hyperdesk, who need to pay our bills, our mortgages and take care of our families. The Skins Factory might look like this big company, but it's not. We just do big things :-) DRM-free does not mean free. Please remember this the next time you want to hand over our product to someone who didn't pay for it.

If you like our themes and want us to create more then promote our product to your friends. Scream it out of a window. Post about us on your blog. Write a review. Tell a friend. Spread the word and I promise we'll do our best to exceed not meet your expectations of us. That's what we do best.

Best regards to all.

--------------------
Jeff Schader
President & CEO
The Skins Factory, Inc.

The Skins Factory, Inc.
The World's Premier Interface Design Company
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KlytusLord
no avatar
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,838

Post #2 post Dec 23 2008, 02:49 AM
I have purchased 4 HyperDesk themes so far, as well as downloaded the Sony Ericsson free theme. As a legitimate user, I just want to say thank you for keeping us at the forefront of your priorities and for taking such a logical and pragmatic approach to software.

I look forward to new themes to buy in the future smile.gif
+Quote Post
Jesh - The Skins...
Administrator
Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1

Post #3 post Dec 23 2008, 11:50 AM
QUOTE (KlytusLord @ Dec 23 2008, 02:49 AM) *
I have purchased 4 HyperDesk themes so far, as well as downloaded the Sony Ericsson free theme. As a legitimate user, I just want to say thank you for keeping us at the forefront of your priorities and for taking such a logical and pragmatic approach to software.

I look forward to new themes to buy in the future smile.gif

It's our pleasure.

--------------------
Jeff Schader
President & CEO
The Skins Factory, Inc.

The Skins Factory, Inc.
The World's Premier Interface Design Company
+Quote Post
LuvDisneytheme
Member No.: 1,900

Post #4 post Feb 17 2009, 11:06 PM
This was one of the nicest things i thought when i first found hyperdesk. Great move and thanks!

--------------------
"My goal is to cram as much fun as I can into every single day." ~Tall Paul
+Quote Post
Joe Paone
no avatar
Member No.: 1,908

Post #5 post Feb 20 2009, 03:37 AM
QUOTE (Jesh - The Skins Factory @ Oct 31 2008, 10:04 PM) *
Effective immediately: All single themes will be priced at $14.95. We've also changed some of our policies in a very significant way:

1. No more license keys: As the CEO of a company with a software product, I understand the train of thought that a lot of software publishers have about protecting their investment and their products. On the other hand, I personally feel as a consumer that license keys normally just end up hurting legitimate users. We use a wonderful solution called Plimloc and will still use their solution when we go to retail or when third-party resellers sell our product (please note: resellers are different than affiliates) so we can control inventory. But for the desktop themes sold on our site (and through our affiliates) we're going to go "license key free". Has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

The people who are going to steal our software will find a way to steal it, license key or not. It is a never-ending battle. So why should legitimate users have to deal with things like:

1. A license key is accidentally not sent or fails for some reason.

2. Cases where people are not being able to install it on a particular PC that isn't connected to the internet, even though they paid for the theme.

3. Keeping track of the license keys, which is ultimately harder for a digitally downloaded product.

The answer is... they shouldn't have to. That's not the only significant change we're making, and I'm fairly confident you're going to like this next policy change...

2. New Licensing Terms: You can now put any theme you purchase on as many PCs that you personally own. That's right, say hello to freedom. However, this does not mean you are allowed to give it to your brother, sister, mom, dad, best friend, etc. This means if you have a work computer and a home computer, you will be able to put a Hyperdesk theme you purchased on both machines. If you have 7 desktops/notebooks like I do, you can put a theme you purchased on every single one of them. If you bought the product before this was implemented, just email me at support (at) theskinsfactory dot com and we'll hook you up with a version that doesn't need a key.

Because we're going "license key free", this also means we're going to be much stricter with refunds, since there is no key to deactivate.

For those of you who have bought or will buy our products from resellers that do use a license key, never fear, those license keys will be set up that they allow you to install your Hyperdesk themes also on multiple PCs. They will however have a preset limit. That hasn't been decided yet, but probably around 5 PCs, since most people only have 2 or 3 PCs at most.

One Final Note: Please do not distribute our work. I can't say this enough. Just because you have a version that does not need a key, does not mean you own our work. You "license" our work with or without a key. You paid for the right to download and use our theme(s) and so should your friends if they want to use our work. An average theme costs less than the price of 2 movie tickets. A movie normally lasts 90 minutes. You'll be enjoying our themes for much, much longer than that. A theme can takes us sometimes 2 months to complete and they are expensive to build. By illegally distributing our work to other people (and that means anyone that's not you) you're not getting over on some massive software company (not that it's right to do that to any company), all you're doing is hurting a couple of guys who spend all their days and nights working on Hyperdesk, who need to pay our bills, our mortgages and take care of our families. The Skins Factory might look like this big company, but it's not. We just do big things :-) DRM-free does not mean free. Please remember this the next time you want to hand over our product to someone who didn't pay for it.

If you like our themes and want us to create more then promote our product to your friends. Scream it out of a window. Post about us on your blog. Write a review. Tell a friend. Spread the word and I promise we'll do our best to exceed not meet your expectations of us. That's what we do best.

Best regards to all.

Here, Here - How many times have I waited months to get a new License for software becuase the License key was tied into your hardware/operating system - that code would change everytime you either reinstalled the OS or replaced a PC Card - I won't say who they are but I stopped buying STYLE+ because of the same issue.

Thank you Sir
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 11:30 AM