Osan-gar
no avatar
Group: Members
Member No.: 15

Post #1 post Jul 28 2008, 06:33 AM
Hey,

I realize its still Very early on, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask:

----

Any estimate / guess-timate / info on when Vista will be supported?

----

I've been drooling over the Darkmatter Trilogy since I first came across SkinsFactory's info on it back in May. I got a new Alienware Area-51 QuadCore that same month and since then only one of AW's AlienGUI themes (and none of their WMP skins) are Vista compatible. The one that is Vista-friendly, I'm not that crazy about; very cool, but also Very bright- alot of white throughout. The Darkmatter Trilogy is (dare I say it?.... yes, I do) Perfect!!!! They all look SICK and at 1 / $10 or 3 / $20, its a no-brainer for me to grab the 3-pack. Maaaan, I Can't Wait!

Anyway, I'm stupidly excited about 'em. 'Nuff said.

It may be that there won't be any forthcoming info on Vista support until its actually here. I can understand that, and I'll be checking in on the product pages and these forums Frequently. If there IS any kind of time-frame (by Labor Day, by the Holidays, by spring '09) that could be passed along, I for one will be exceedingly grateful.

They look absolutely incredible folks!!!! Thanks.

take it easy.

--------------------
"SOME people SHOULD die. Thats just unconscious knowledge."

- Perry Farrell

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Billy - Creative...
Group: Administrators
Member No.: 3

Post #2 post Jul 28 2008, 12:12 PM
QUOTE (Osan-gar @ Jul 28 2008, 07:33 AM) *
Any estimate / guess-timate / info on when Vista will be supported?
----
They look absolutely incredible folks!!!! Thanks.

We're well underway with Vista support, but aren't currently able to provide a definitive timeline for release.
Thanks for the kudos!
+Quote Post
Bjornsson
no avatar
Member No.: 26

Post #3 post Jul 30 2008, 08:03 AM
No timeline so far? Man you guys make it hard for us impatient people lol.
I really cant wait to see these themes in action on my own desktop.
Best of luck and no slacking!! laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Macanoti
no avatar
Member No.: 29

Post #4 post Jul 30 2008, 11:53 PM
"We're well underway with Vista support, but aren't currently able to provide a definitive timeline for release." dry.gif
I knew you're gonna say that... too bad. Can't wait! Finally a skin (The Darkmatter: Subspace) that will go perfectly on my pearl black / blue lights laptop! smile.gif I'm waiting for this since april when i first saw some pictures and i hope vista version will be released soon. Once again, excellent job TSF !!! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Osan-gar
no avatar

Post #5 post Aug 1 2008, 08:46 AM
QUOTE (Jesh - The Skins Factory @ Jul 31 2008, 09:49 AM) *
No, it would be a separate thing. Think about it this way... We have to pay our coders to do the Vista version. We have to pay our artists to covert the theme to Vista. Coding is expensive. If we don't recoup our investment, then what would be the motivation to spend more money on it?

If you're going to get a new PC with Vista in a 2 months then you definitely need to consider if its worth spending the money. If you have no idea when you're going to get Vusta then I'd say your safe. We won't be ready for at least 3 months with a Vista solution. We started with XP because 1) it was easier to theme from the start and 2) 74% of the visitors to The Skins Factory on are on XP. Plus there was no theme builder for Vista.

The above is from the 'Refunds & Restrictions' thread; thought it might be of interest to anyone checking this thread for Vista info.

I'd say this "at least 3 months" is a pretty loose guess-timate even if it does come straight from Jesh, Mr. Prez/CEO hisself, since Mr. Billy's reply to this thread indicates there's no definitive timeline. My guess?= this is gonna (hopefully) be a ChrismaHanukKwanzacah-gift to myself. Sooner would be better, but not really unexpected; Vista is still the new kid. At least I've got a reason to look forward to the Holiday season.

take it easy.

--------------------

- Perry Farrell

+Quote Post
Lord_Galvatron
Member No.: 76

Post #6 post Aug 25 2008, 03:25 AM
I just got the Solarflare Theme and it looks awesome on my XP system. Now I ordered a new laptop from Dell, the Inspiron 1526 with Black cover. This is a Windows Vista PC. I'm looking forward to see Vista version of your products, but I'm wondering if there is going to be any update soon.

Keep up the great work!

--------------------
"How dare, Unicron?! Cybertron and all its moons belongs to me!"
+Quote Post
Jesh - The Skins...
Administrator
Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1

Post #7 post Aug 25 2008, 05:11 AM
QUOTE (Lord_Galvatron @ Aug 25 2008, 03:25 AM) *
I just got the Solarflare Theme and it looks awesome on my XP system. Now I ordered a new laptop from Dell, the Inspiron 1526 with Black cover. This is a Windows Vista PC. I'm looking forward to see Vista version of your products, but I'm wondering if there is going to be any update soon.

Keep up the great work!

It's going to happen.

--------------------
Jeff Schader
President & CEO
The Skins Factory, Inc.

The Skins Factory, Inc.
The World's Premier Interface Design Company
+Quote Post
Lord_Galvatron
Member No.: 76

Post #8 post Aug 28 2008, 04:50 AM
QUOTE (Jesh - The Skins Factory @ Aug 25 2008, 12:11 AM) *
It's going to happen.

Looking forward to it! Just got my laptop and it will look great soon!

--------------------
"How dare, Unicron?! Cybertron and all its moons belongs to me!"
+Quote Post
Osan-gar
no avatar

Post #9 post Oct 10 2008, 07:09 PM
Hey, just an FYI for any who might be checking here for "DarkMatter for Vista" info.

I recently saw the thread about having to manually register with Mr. JESH before being allowed to post here. I wasn't sure if that was only for new members or for everyone, so I sent him an email. In my email, as a P.S., I "just happened" to mention that my birthday was at the end of the month and that DarkMatter being released for Vista would be a Great b'day present. wink.gif I got a response from Mr. Jesh, and in addition to saying that the manual registering was only for new members, he also mentioned:

"We have some plans for Vista that will reinvent some things. Not going to be done by your birthday."

Now, yeah, its a lil disappointing that it won't be ready this month, but I wasn't really expecting it to be. In Post#5, I referenced a guess-timate from Mr. Jesh of roughly 3 months, back in Aug; that'd put it close to the end of the year. What Is VERY intriguing is this "reinvent some things"!?!? Sounds like the work being done on the Vista version MAY not be a straight-up feature-for-feature conversion/rebuild; MAYBE there's plans for some things we haven't seen in the previews. I mean, "reinvent" is a pretty strong word, at least in this context. Then again, in my almost-unbearable eagerness to get ahold of these SicklySweet suites I may be reading into this simple lil statement.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along for anyone else who's waiting for Vista-DarkMatter; didn't want to be tantalized to the breaking point all by myself. tongue.gif

take it easy.

P.S.- oh, and just to clarify: I'm not in ANY way trying to suggest Any kinda timeframe on DarkMatter's Vista release or any features it may or may not have. And hopefully I didn't let any cat out of its bag by passing this lil tidbit along. I've got no worries that it'll be Done When Its Done and WELL worth the wait. later.

--------------------

- Perry Farrell

+Quote Post
Osan-gar
no avatar

Post #10 post Dec 10 2008, 01:39 PM
Hey,

At the risk of resembling a 4yr old constantly asking "Are we there yet?", any chance of getting a lil' update on Vista support?

Any chance Hyperdesk will be Vista-friendly by the end of the year?

If its a matter of "its done when its done", I understand; I'm really not looking to bug anyone by repeatedly asking for details / updates. If there is any info that could be passed along re: an ETA, as Always, I'll be Exceedingly Grateful.

take it easy.

--------------------

- Perry Farrell

+Quote Post
Jesh - The Skins...
Administrator

Post #11 post Dec 11 2008, 03:44 AM
QUOTE (Osan-gar @ Dec 10 2008, 01:39 PM) *
Hey,

At the risk of resembling a 4yr old constantly asking "Are we there yet?", any chance of getting a lil' update on Vista support?

Any chance Hyperdesk will be Vista-friendly by the end of the year?

If its a matter of "its done when its done", I understand; I'm really not looking to bug anyone by repeatedly asking for details / updates. If there is any info that could be passed along re: an ETA, as Always, I'll be Exceedingly Grateful.

take it easy.

Okay I'll give you the first official update about where we're at with Vista...

We patched Vista in memory. It was tested on my PC that had no Service Pack. I then upgraded to Service Pack 1 and it worked flawlessly. It was then tested from Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2 Beta and it worked flawlessly. So 2 Service Packs didn't break. So much for the FUD delivered by some others about the patch being unstable and broken by updates.

Here's where things get interesting...

The patch will only be used to skin the windows, buttons, progress bar and shell styles. The Start Menu and Taskbar will be skinned by us and I'm working on a new look for the Start Menu and something else that's never been done before. So even if the patch does break in the future, you would still have your Start Menu and Taskbar themed until we fixed it. It was done by the maestro of customization but i'm not going to mention any names unless he wants me to.

The icon theming code is done (furnished by another incredible coder) so we'll be skinning desktop, system, file extension and the live folders.

We're porting our app to the Vista OS. Wallpapers and widgets won't be an issue.

So really we're piecing it all together and we'll start testing sometime in January. I'd like to launch with every theme ported over first if possible, so we can release them all at once.

Jeff

--------------------
Jeff Schader
President & CEO
The Skins Factory, Inc.

The Skins Factory, Inc.
+Quote Post
Osan-gar
no avatar

Post #12 post Dec 11 2008, 08:56 PM
Mr. Jesh- Absolutely Incredible Update!!

A developer posting nitty-gritty specifics on an up-coming release?!?! I think you might be out there on the "lunatic fringe"! blink.gif

That's waaaay more info than I expected, let alone hoped for. Even if it Is gonna be "later rather than sooner", it sounds like everything is Very much closer to being finished than, say, half-way there. And just to throw my 2-cents in: I'm all for a later release if it means more Vista-offerings released together.

Mr. Jesh, Thank You Very Much. Providing this kind of info goes a Long way. I mean, dang laugh.gif - I haven't even Tried ANY of your products yet and I'm feeling a Strong "brand loyalty" to you & your team.

Thank You again, to you and ALL your team.

take it easy.

--------------------

- Perry Farrell

+Quote Post
Aquaris®
no avatar
Member No.: 1,925

Post #13 post Mar 10 2009, 10:47 PM
well,
first: i wanna apologize to the author of the topic for this interference, but i feel this is the right place
second: I've read the above post about migrating to vista ....etc, etc, of course i'm very happy with the the development of this matter alltogether,(even though i stop using vista few months ago)
but...yeah there's always 1 "but"....do you consider (just thinking on it, not saying firmly "yes/no"") migrating on 7? from the above discussion i assumed if this is going to happen, it's not gonna be soon (although 7 is comin' in early October), but will it happens....eventually...some day?
greetings to all the team, you're doing fine job boys - keep up the good work, and have a nice day
+Quote Post
Jesh - The Skins...
Administrator

Post #14 post Mar 11 2009, 04:26 AM
QUOTE (Aquaris® @ Mar 10 2009, 10:47 PM) *
well,
first: i wanna apologize to the author of the topic for this interference, but i feel this is the right place
second: I've read the above post about migrating to vista ....etc, etc, of course i'm very happy with the the development of this matter alltogether,(even though i stop using vista few months ago)
but...yeah there's always 1 "but"....do you consider (just thinking on it, not saying firmly "yes/no"") migrating on 7? from the above discussion i assumed if this is going to happen, it's not gonna be soon (although 7 is comin' in early October), but will it happens....eventually...some day?
greetings to all the team, you're doing fine job boys - keep up the good work, and have a nice day

Windows 7 will be a fairly easy upgrade for us to perform once we have Vista done which is being worked on now.

--------------------
Jeff Schader
President & CEO
The Skins Factory, Inc.

The Skins Factory, Inc.
+Quote Post
Aquaris®
no avatar

Post #15 post Mar 11 2009, 08:50 AM
10x for the quick reply - i'm really looking forward to see this upgrade
bye, bye
+Quote Post
Jesh - The Skins...
Administrator

Post #16 post Mar 11 2009, 09:09 AM
QUOTE (Aquaris® @ Mar 11 2009, 09:50 AM) *
10x for the quick reply - i'm really looking forward to see this upgrade
bye, bye

I posted a shot of the DarkMatter: Subspace Alloy Edition which is a work in progress. You can see it here on our deviantART page: http://skinsfactory.deviantart.com/art/The...rdesk-115110623

--------------------
Jeff Schader
President & CEO
The Skins Factory, Inc.

The Skins Factory, Inc.
+Quote Post
Osan-gar
no avatar

Post #17 post Mar 11 2009, 12:42 PM
QUOTE (Jesh - The Skins Factory @ Mar 11 2009, 04:09 AM) *
I posted a shot of the DarkMatter: Subspace Alloy Edition which is a work in progress. You can see it here on our deviantART page: http://skinsfactory.deviantart.com/art/The...rdesk-115110623

yes!!
<clapping hands together w/ impish glee>
a full-on Look-C at the divine yet un-holy beauty that Is Darkmatter4Vista. seriously, i'm sittin' here like a goof, grinnin' ear-to-ear.

"So for all of you Vista users that keep nagging me about a Vista solution... your wait is becoming less and less. wink.gif " = BIG Thanks Mr Jesh, to you and Everyone working on this.

take it easy.

--------------------

- Perry Farrell

+Quote Post
Aquaris®
no avatar

Post #18 post Mar 30 2009, 10:37 PM
well, it's me again
i'm not sure if this is the right plase but i didn't see a Features RQ topic, so here it goes:

can't "we" (you as a team, actually) escape from the past and the annoying legacy of xp start button, and move along to the bright future of the Orb-like buton (or something different than just "start" sign)?
if there is going to be (and it will, as seen above) a vista/7 hyperdesk theme, why does it have to look more like an xp with just a few different buttons (wow even the start menu is still the same)
i realize it's still an early (or not?) stage of developement(migrating) and there probably will be changes in the final product, but i sure hope that It doesn't look like an xp

but, after all......well i think we can all live with it, and it's not really a big deal
best wishes
+Quote Post
Jesh - The Skins...
Administrator

Post #19 post Mar 30 2009, 11:35 PM
QUOTE (Aquaris® @ Mar 30 2009, 11:37 PM) *
well, it's me again
i'm not sure if this is the right plase but i didn't see a Features RQ topic, so here it goes:

can't "we" (you as a team, actually) escape from the past and the annoying legacy of xp start button, and move along to the bright future of the Orb-like buton (or something different than just "start" sign)?
if there is going to be (and it will, as seen above) a vista/7 hyperdesk theme, why does it have to look more like an xp with just a few different buttons (wow even the start menu is still the same)
i realize it's still an early (or not?) stage of developement(migrating) and there probably will be changes in the final product, but i sure hope that It doesn't look like an xp

but, after all......well i think we can all live with it, and it's not really a big deal
best wishes

I think you're going to be disappointed.

--------------------
Jeff Schader
President & CEO
The Skins Factory, Inc.

The Skins Factory, Inc.
+Quote Post
mjamil85
Member No.: 1,903

Post #20 post Mar 31 2009, 04:36 AM
QUOTE (Aquaris® @ Mar 31 2009, 06:37 AM) *
well, it's me again

best wishes

Try see this one. A latest screen shot of Darkmatter: Subspace for vista by skinsfactory. Look at the new start button for vista. What do you think for this one?

Looks great if this the final result for vista! biggrin.gif

Original Website Source (skinsfactory.deviantart.com)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 11:20 AM