Reply to this topicStart new topic

Desktop and Quick Launch icons problem

metalhead
no avatar
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,009

Post #1 post May 8 2009, 03:05 PM
Hi.

I downloaded the Crysis Warhead theme and installed it onto my XP PC. After it had finished installing, I restarted my PC and after it had finished booting up many of my desktop icons had been rearranged, likewise with my quick launch icons. In fact, the icons in the quick launch toolbar had completely the wrong icons (some I’d never seen before). This was before I activated the theme.

I then closed and reopened the quick launch toolbar, and also deleted the %HOMEPATH%\Local Settings\Application Data\IconCache.db file to get all my icons back, and rearranged back into the correct place. However, every time I reboot they all screw up again.

Again, this happens without me activating the theme. As a test, I uninstalled the theme and rebooted my PC several times, and every time they display correctly – so somehow the installation of the Crysis theme is upsetting something? Any ideas?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jesh - The Skins...
Administrator
Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1

Post #2 post May 8 2009, 05:27 PM
QUOTE (metalhead @ May 8 2009, 03:05 PM) *
Hi.

I downloaded the Crysis Warhead theme and installed it onto my XP PC. After it had finished installing, I restarted my PC and after it had finished booting up many of my desktop icons had been rearranged, likewise with my quick launch icons. In fact, the icons in the quick launch toolbar had completely the wrong icons (some I’d never seen before). This was before I activated the theme.

I then closed and reopened the quick launch toolbar, and also deleted the %HOMEPATH%\Local Settings\Application Data\IconCache.db file to get all my icons back, and rearranged back into the correct place. However, every time I reboot they all screw up again.

Again, this happens without me activating the theme. As a test, I uninstalled the theme and rebooted my PC several times, and every time they display correctly �" so somehow the installation of the Crysis theme is upsetting something? Any ideas?

Thanks.

I've seen the issue before with some people, but its rare. Could be another application messing with Hyperdesk. Could be something is corrupted in XP. Could be the download got corrupted when you downloaded it.

--------------------
Jeff Schader
President & CEO
The Skins Factory, Inc.

The Skins Factory, Inc.
The World's Premier Interface Design Company
+Quote Post
metalhead
no avatar

Post #3 post May 8 2009, 06:54 PM
QUOTE (Jesh - The Skins Factory @ May 8 2009, 06:27 PM) *
I've seen the issue before with some people, but its rare. Could be another application messing with Hyperdesk. Could be something is corrupted in XP. Could be the download got corrupted when you downloaded it.

I doubt very much it was corrupted, but I'm happy to be proven wrong! smile.gif BTW, I just loaded the .exe (I download (from http://www.mycrysis.com/filebase_redirect....64d6d3c2345b1c) into a text editor and changed one character roughly in the middle and resaved it, and immediately got an error when trying to execute it, which is why I suspect my download isn't corrupted (seen as it otherwise installs fine). And I also loaded it into a text editor and saved without making any changes (to make sure that wasn't a factor), and it executed fine after doing that. I mean, I can even upload it someone if you fancy checking it?

A bit later I'll install XP onto one of my spare hard disks, and install the theme again without any other third party software. If that works, then I activate the theme and start installing my third party software until it goes wrong. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
metalhead
no avatar

Post #4 post May 8 2009, 11:29 PM
QUOTE (metalhead @ May 8 2009, 07:54 PM) *
A bit later I'll install XP onto one of my spare hard disks, and install the theme again without any other third party software. If that works, then I activate the theme and start installing my third party software until it goes wrong. I'll let you know how I get on.

OK, I have installed XP on my spare hard disk, and then installed the Crysis theme off my USB HD before installing any 3rd party drivers/software. I then rebooted my PC 4 or 5 times, and every time the icons on the desktop and quick launch toolbar were fine, and kept their position... biggrin.gif

I then installed my video driver off the CD that came with my Nvidia GeForce 9600GT graphics card, then rebooted. And suddenly all the icons on the desktop rearranged themselves, and the quick launch toolbar icons got all screwed up again with the wrong icons. The driver was v6.14.11.7519 (16/05/2008). sad.gif

I then installed my ethernet driver and downloaded the latest version of the video driver v6.14.11.8585 (30/04/2009), and installed it. I then put my desktop icons back in the positions I wanted them in and rebooted my PC 4 or 5 times, and every time the icons on the desktop rearranged themselves again sad.gif , but the quick launch icons were fine! biggrin.gif So it's safe to say there's (still) a conflict between the Crysis theme and the video driver.

I suspect the problem lies with the video driver, rather than the theme, but I could be wrong. Anyways, hopefully that exercise may prompt others to try the latest version of their video driver if they're experiencing the same problem.

I cannot put up with my desktop icons jumping around all over the place, so regrettably I'll be uninstalling it, but I will keep my eye of for new versions of the video driver because I would like to use your themes in the future.

Thanks.
+Quote Post
Jesh - The Skins...
Administrator

Post #5 post May 9 2009, 12:17 AM
QUOTE (metalhead @ May 8 2009, 11:29 PM) *
OK, I have installed XP on my spare hard disk, and then installed the Crysis theme off my USB HD before installing any 3rd party drivers/software. I then rebooted my PC 4 or 5 times, and every time the icons on the desktop and quick launch toolbar were fine, and kept their position... biggrin.gif

I then installed my video driver off the CD that came with my Nvidia GeForce 9600GT graphics card, then rebooted. And suddenly all the icons on the desktop rearranged themselves, and the quick launch toolbar icons got all screwed up again with the wrong icons. The driver was v6.14.11.7519 (16/05/2008). sad.gif

I then installed my ethernet driver and downloaded the latest version of the video driver v6.14.11.8585 (30/04/2009), and installed it. I then put my desktop icons back in the positions I wanted them in and rebooted my PC 4 or 5 times, and every time the icons on the desktop rearranged themselves again sad.gif , but the quick launch icons were fine! biggrin.gif So it's safe to say there's (still) a conflict between the Crysis theme and the video driver.

I suspect the problem lies with the video driver, rather than the theme, but I could be wrong. Anyways, hopefully that exercise may prompt others to try the latest version of their video driver if they're experiencing the same problem.

I cannot put up with my desktop icons jumping around all over the place, so regrettably I'll be uninstalling it, but I will keep my eye of for new versions of the video driver because I would like to use your themes in the future.

Thanks.

Interesting. Thanks for information. Wonder why video drivers would affect icons? Weird.

--------------------
Jeff Schader
President & CEO
The Skins Factory, Inc.

The Skins Factory, Inc.
+Quote Post
metalhead
no avatar

Post #6 post May 9 2009, 11:33 AM
I just tried something else this morning which might be of interest... I set the Hyperdesk Theme Enabler service to start up manually, repositioned my icons and then rebooted my PC. It booted up without rearranging the icons, which I half expected. I then manually started the Hyperdesk Theme Enabler and the desktop icons rearranged themselves. I then repeatedly rearranged my icons and manually restarted the Hyperdesk Them Enabler, and every time this caused the desktop icons to rearrange themselves. So that service (perhaps unsurprisingly) and my video driver are having the problems.

BTW, I tried the above with and without 'Auto Arrange' and 'Align to Grid' checked, but got the same results each time.
+Quote Post
Jesh - The Skins...
Administrator

Post #7 post May 9 2009, 04:15 PM
QUOTE (metalhead @ May 9 2009, 12:33 PM) *
I just tried something else this morning which might be of interest... I set the Hyperdesk Theme Enabler service to start up manually, repositioned my icons and then rebooted my PC. It booted up without rearranging the icons, which I half expected. I then manually started the Hyperdesk Theme Enabler and the desktop icons rearranged themselves. I then repeatedly rearranged my icons and manually restarted the Hyperdesk Them Enabler, and every time this caused the desktop icons to rearrange themselves. So that service (perhaps unsurprisingly) and my video driver are having the problems.

BTW, I tried the above with and without 'Auto Arrange' and 'Align to Grid' checked, but got the same results each time.

Well the theme enabler is designed to remember where your icons are placed so that when it shuffles them around during the change, it knows where to put them back. So no surprise that it moves things around.

--------------------
Jeff Schader
President & CEO
The Skins Factory, Inc.

The Skins Factory, Inc.
+Quote Post
mjamil85
Member No.: 1,903

Post #8 post May 10 2009, 07:02 AM
Ya, I have same problem with the quick launch since I become a beta tester for Darkmatter: Subspace on last year. But it didn't corrupt my icon on quick launch. But yes, it didn't refresh the icon in proper way but I have tricks (in my case). On quick launch bar, you will see a arrow on the the right on icon (open list menu). Just click on it & few second it reset the icon to the original. But, must always do repeated after login in my profile! smile.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 02:35 AM